Wednesday 26 December 2012

Christmas dinner at the bf's

Happy Boxing Day! :) How was your Christmas?

Mine was great.. I went over to my boyfriend's place for dinner on Christmas Eve and the next day itself. We had steamboat for dinner; it was quite different from the usual steamboat that I had at home, if there was any to begin with because my folks aren't big on that. I enjoyed myself tremendously; the food was decent and the company great. :)

 

Simply pour a tablespoonful of oil onto the grill platter and you're good to go! We had beef, pork, chicken and some fried rice to go along. The smell whetted our appetites; I was pretty sure our neighbours were too. ;) 

I'd also like to share with you a Rosewater cake that I made some weeks ago. I only remembered to take pictures of it when I was about to get started on a slice myself. Sigh!! Furthermore, the cake came out so smooth & even, definitely a first! 

 

I used a teaspoon of good quality rosewater extract for the batter; when I released the oven door, the floral aroma took over the entire kitchen. It was intoxicating! :) I would have liked the color to turn more pinky; it's a lil peachy sooo for subsequent bakes I'll need to remind myself to add another drop of food coloring! 

The cake itself was very light and fluffy; the trick to having a fluffy cake is to NOT overbeat the batter, especially if you're using an electric mixer. When I first started baking, I let the mixer run on longer than I should have. The moment all the ingredients are fully incorporated, STOP. Don't fret that the mixing isn't sufficient; just pop it into the oven and let the heat and cake do it's own magic. ;) 

I topped off the cake with a layer of cream cheese frosting tinged with a light drop of hot pink. Prior to this, I made a chocolate cake for a friend of mine so since I had some left over frosting, I might as well put it to good use! When removed from the fridge, the frosting tasted like ice-cream. I love cream cheese so mine is a lil heavy on that side; some people aren't fans of the tangy-ness associated with it so just reduce the ratio accordingly. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment