Saturday 12 January 2013

Book Review: It Started with a Kiss by Miranda Dickinson

 

As the singer in a wedding band, Romily Parker has seen her fair share of happy endings, even though her own love life isn't quite as simple. On the last Saturday before Christmas, (shortly after disastrously declaring her love for best friend Charlie), Romily has a brief encounter with a handsome stranger whose heart-stopping kiss changes everything. 

Determined to find him again, Romily embarks on a year-long quest, helped (and sometimes hindered) by enthusiastic Uncle Dudley, cake-making Auntie Mags and flamboyant Wren. Will she find the man of her dreams? Or could true love be closer than she thinks? The ONLY book that you'll want to curl up with this winter -- perfect for fans of Jill Mansell and Sophie Kinsella. 

I vaguely remembered seeing this novel recommended to me on Goodreads & I made a mental note to check that out from the library should it be available. The cover was the first thing that caught my eye; with the pretty pink & white wintery jacket, it definitely struck several points with me. :) I'm big on image & presentation, especially when you consider the plethora of books out there demanding to be read. Furthermore, I'm a visual person; it's always the cover that catches my attention first. 

Having a crush on her best friend cum bandmate Charlie for 3 years, 29 year-old Romily decided to follow her heart and confessed to him just before Christmas. However, it backfired and Romily fled, only to collide into a wooden stall some distances later, causing fluffy stuffed toys to rain all over the floor. 

"Crazy woman! Look at this mess! It is ruined, ruined!" 

Thoroughly embarrassed, I scrambled to my feet, wincing as my bruised limbs creaked and groaned back into an upright position. 

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," I mumbled, grabbing armfuls of toys and wishing I could disappear. 



A man, who was subsequently named PK (Phantom Kisser) in the book, stopped to help her and gave her a kiss before disappearing off with his mate. Struck by the kiss, Romily decided to search for PK within a year. She was aided by Uncle Dudley and wife Auntie Mags, who acted as surrogate parents to Romily. CCTVs were watched, a blog was set up, even an advertisement was created in the papers! Charlie wasn't too pleased with Romily's fixation with PK either; what followed was rocky periods between the two best friends. 

I'll not spoil the ending for ya, you HAVE to read it for yourself :) It's an amazing read, chick lit at its best. Besides Romily's quest, there was also a significant amount of pages dedicated to Romily's best friend Wren and bandmates Jack, Tom and manage D'Wayne. Called The Pinstripes who played at weddings, they were extremely close and they put their efforts into the band wholeheartedly, making sure their clients got more than what they paid for. 

Romily acknowledged that her year-long quest to hunt down PK could be seen as a lil desperate, but she argued on the basis of doing something for herself before she turned thirty years old. The theme - searching for that elusive PK, was constantly addressed in the novel. But I think the author had done an excellent job in ensuring Romily did not appear too desperate despite the trickiness of it all. 

The conclusion (just before Christmas Eve) was sweet and heart-warming. What I loved was, the conclusion wrapped up nicely instead of a rushed and harried one. If you were to watch a movie, you would want it to end on a decent note too right ?! :P 

I can totally identify with Romily wanting to do something for herself. The novel really is about being there for your friends regardless of conflicts and being true to yourself and chasing after what makes you happy.  It's something which I have been thinking about for the longest time ever; I still can't quite figure out what is it that I truly want. Which was why I was totally rooting for Romily in her quest. 

As soon as my salary is here, it's straight to bookdepository to order a copy of this novel  :) I love it soooo much ^^ 

My rating out of 5 likes:


I know Christmas just whooshed past us almost 3 weeks ago BUT if you are looking for an awesome Christmassy chick lit novel, this is right up your alley and I hope you will love it as much as I do! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment