Saturday 18 May 2013

Strawberry Pancakes

 

Last week, the boyfriend insisted on having pancakes at McDonalds for breakfast. Having eaten pancakes less than 5 times in my entire life so far (I kid you not) and also not that big a fan, I wasn't too pleased about waking up early just to have pancakes. I am SO not a morning person! ;) Anyhoo, thereafter I went hunting for a simple but awesome-tasting pancake recipe. Why pay, when you can make some yourself in the comfort of your home? Furthermore, I'm willing to wager two dollops of ice-cream on a bet that you already have the following ingredients for a pancake rendezvous at home without knowing! 

Ingredients (make sure all are at room temperature!)
1 cup plain/all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons of fine sugar 
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of strawberry milk 
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Directions

  • In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and sugar using a whisk. 
  • Make a well in the center before adding the egg, vanilla extract, milk and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mix until well combined. 
  • Oil a non-stick pan or griddle lightly with the last tablespoon of vegetable oil and turn up the heat. 
  • Scoop approximately 1/3 cup of batter and pour onto the pan. Once you see air bubbles rising to the surface, gently flip them over and they're ready to be served when both sides are brown. 
Notes
  • I used Meiji Strawberry Milk. 
  • The recipe makes approximately 6 servings. 
  • Entire preparation & cook time takes less than 20 minutes.
I made these yummies a few days ago for the boyfriend. Initially, I planned on baking him a surprise cake but what the heck, I decided that he had eaten too much of my cake so I might as well try something new such as strawberry pancakes since he loves strawberries too. These are light and fluffy (& probably even more so had I used buttermilk instead; I'll try that out soon!) and the strawberry taste is pretty subtle. I'm not a fan of strawberries so these are perfect for me. 

I served them with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream and strawberry syrup; the boyfriend was a happy camper. :) Same goes to Lissy, who turned up later at my place for pancakes and took the above photo. 

Happy cooking! :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment